Don’t panic, we are both fine. Sorry for the silence over the last few months, we have been caught up in the chore of earning dollar. To make up for going MIA for so long I thought I’d take a moment to fill you in on what we got up to during our stay in Melbourne. When we arrived in Melbourne I knew we’d planned on staying a while to save up money to continue with our travels but I didn’t know just how much I would love Melbourne as a city.

After our house-sit in the western suburbs ended, we moved across the West Gate Bridge and into a share house in the suburb of Caulfield North. It was a rather large share house, at one point there were 14 of us, with a retro (read outdated and untidy) vibe. We lived there for three months and had lots of fun with everyone and soon felt like part of the furniture. Our room was nice and cheap, $250 a week for a large double, with ensuite and walk in robes and that price included all our bills, water and “internet”. The internet was pretty poor though as my parents soon found out during our attempts to Skype. If it wasn’t the internet then someone was watching the TV at full volume or wandering into view in just their pants to get something from the fridge. We didn’t Skype often.


For work, Jack quickly got a job labouring on construction sites, working full time at a site near Doncaster. Meanwhile I was making my way through jobs… I never thought that in five months I would end up having three different jobs. My first job was fundraising for a charity. Commission only, walking round industrial estates asking people for credit card details. I gave it two weeks before looking for something else. My next job was stopping people in shopping centres, finding out how many halogen downlights they had installed, before grabbing their phone number for a quote to change to LEDs. This time I did have a base wage, but at only $85 a day it wasn’t really helping me to contribute much to our savings, despite working six days a week. After two months I was searching for something better again. I found it in a bar in the city centre.

Whilst I was going through jobs, Jack stayed labouring on the same site for several months. When the foreman injured his back, he found himself pretty much running the show. Although the company sent in a replacement foreman, it was Jack who opened and closed the site, sometimes not getting home till 10pm. When the site began falling behind schedule, he worked solidly for two weeks. Great for the savings, not great for Jack. All the overtime had taken its toll and Jack was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia. Despite being given the all clear to work from the doctor (his hernia didn’t have intestines protruding through and didn’t need urgent surgery), the site he had worked so hard on didn’t want him back knowing that he had a hernia and the agency wouldn’t cover his loss of wages as there was no proof that the hernia was caused by the work. With Jack unable to work for the company and facing at least a two month wait for surgery we decided to leave Melbourne at the end of the month.


For our final month in Melbourne I pulled as many hours as I could at the bar, while Jack was able to find some work laying vinyl. Which like anything he turns his hand to, he surpassed in. When it soon came time to leave Melbourne, I found myself not wanting to. Despite knowing we were heading off on an amazing trip, Melbourne had quickly become a home. The people I worked with were amazing and made me feel as if I’d always known them. I loved going into the city for work and was no longer fazed by the Melbourne right turn (you turn right from the left lane, which causes a lot of confusion to many people, including the guy who crashed his car into ours but that’s all fixed and no one was hurt). The night before we left, we ventured into the city to say goodbye to everyone I’d worked with, leaving at 3am with Polaroids and promises to stay in touch. After spending five months in Melbourne I would happily move back there. I already miss it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s